“The true secret of happiness lies in taking a genuine interest in all the details of daily life” – William Morris
Receiving a new large delivery of books means we Domestic Scientists can have a sneaky peak at some the titles we have in stock. A few our new glossy discoveries carry the theme slow living – in essence, slow living is about taking time back to embrace the small things in your life, everyday moments that make you happy, helping to bring about a sense of mindfulness and fulfilment
We all have tasks and routines that we do on a daily basis, and usually do them without a second thought – we often forget that these tasks and the time taken to perform them can be transformed into beautiful moments. These simple everyday routines can be used as a cue to slow down and be more mindful, aiding this sense of contentment.
For example, a morning coffee can become a relaxing ritual when you focus on measuring , pouring slowly and inhaling the aroma before each sip. Doing this one thing slowly can have an amazing ripple effect, creating more peace and stillness in your day, even when its busy.
At Domestic Science, we are happy to embrace anything that helps to cultivate contentment and brings meaningful space into our everyday routines, and we understand that this sense can be facilitated with the right products too.
Here are some of our favourite initiatives for fusing mindfulness and routine together beautifully.
- Making the first cup of coffee of the day
- Eating together at the table
- Baking from scratch
- Burning your favourite candles
- Developing a beauty routine to apply every morning and evening
- Putting on and enjoying fresh clean bed linen
- Enjoying a slice of homemade cake and tea
- Spending the afternoon with a friend
More simple pleasures. More Little Joys. More Mindful Intention
Here are a few of the collection of books we stock, that we feel may interest you if this is subject area you want to explore in more depth. We have a range a books on differing themes from wellbeing, beauty, health and nutrition, with emphasis firmly placed on taking time to enjoy each process. These titles are available to purchase at both our Nailsworth and Tetbury stores.
- Five minutes in the Morning by Aster -Five Minutes in the Morning is a journal offering a beautiful space and creative exercises to encourage reflection and intention setting at the start of the day.
- Keep it Simple by Atlanta Bartlett and David Coote – A practical and inspirational guide to creating a happy and relaxed home that works perfectly for everyone who lives in it. Keep It Simple, which appreciates good, honest design, values quality not quantity and advocates rediscovering the simple pleasures of life.
- Well Being by Danielle Copperman – divided into time-specific sections to take you through the day from morning to evening, Well Being outlines suggested practices, rituals and recipes for specific feelings, moods and situations.
- Mindful Thoughts for City Dwellers by Anna Scott – leads the reader on a joyful journey through the city. From noticing urban nature to embracing noise as sound, author Lucy Anna Scott shows us how to find a home for the head, and the heart, in the metropolis—humanity’s greatest invention.